A very productive day
27 MAY 2020
When I had finished getting Jean ready for the day and before I had a chance to get dad up we had a very welcome delivery. Medequip arrived with a beautiful, new dual motored rester/recliner chair for Jean. This chair has pressure relieving cushions on the seat and the back and can move its back independently from its feet – the Rolls Royce of rester /recliners! The very kind (masked) Medequip technicians set it up and the transfer is made. Jean looks like a queen and seems more upright, and feels much more comfortable, everyone is delighted and I am incredibly grateful to Rapid Response for helping us. The old chair, rather unceremoniously, is pushed out into the garden and I ask Patrick what will we do with it and he comes straight back with, “I’m going to have it!”. I must admit this seems like an excellent plan because he falls asleep in his chair every evening, he may as well be more comfortable! We have also been provided with an anti-slip mat for the seat to use if necessary, although unfortunately this affects the pressure relieving capabilities of the chair.
It is another very hot day today and although I want to plant out my runner beans, I decide to delay until tea time when it will be cooler. Instead I work in the polytunnel, which although very warm, offers some protection from the sun. I weeded around the cucumbers removing lots of morning glory seedlings which I put on one side to use elsewhere. I remove the big pots of cannas, dahlias and tender plants from the crowded area in the middle of the central bed to give the cucumbers more breathing space. I weed the tops of the pots and place them outside on the path to await planting out – I think it is safe (weather wise) to do this now. Some cucumber plants despite my best efforts have perished – their stems rot at the base. I have grown some replacements and I plant these.
Two tender hanging basking foliage plants that I remove (Helichrysum Petiolare Silver) have grown very large and rooted through the bottom of their pots. I know now I have pulled them out that their disturbed roots will struggle to support the plant, and they will quickly wilt. I decide to empty the two urns on stands at the start of the central border and I put these big dramatic silver trailing plants into the urns, each with with new compost and 3 geraniums for colour. The finished result is quite romantic looking, I just hope the plants survive.
I now think it is late enough to plant the beans, so I start untangling them from the tomato supporting poles and each other. James has done a great job on the ‘bean wigwams’ fitting 9 into the long bed, this is 36 poles. I’ve grown more than 60 runner beans so I decide to plant two per pole. I will still have borlotti and French climbing beans to add. James put 5 wigwams into the neighbouring bed and then runs out of poles. So I suggest waiting before cutting more, I might not need them. We produce our own poles from the nut trees, which throw up new poles from their stools, even more so if you coppice them. The nut trees are probably more useful for poles than nuts which are usually stolen by the squirrels.
Meave and Aideen come and do some dead heading of roses, daffodils and tulips. Then Aideen and James start digging out the tulip bulbs in the display beds beside the fountain. The foliage has died down and the bulbs will be dried and stored in wooden trays and replanted elsewhere in the Autumn. It is brilliant to get some help with ‘actual gardening’ because usually these are jobs I would have to do myself. I am determined to plant all of the runner beans before darkness falls and I finish at 9:30pm. Just as I start to unravel the hosepipe to water all of our baby vegetables, James appears and offers to do the watering…my cup runneth over! I am then able to go inside prior to putting the elderlies to bed.