Search
  • Kay

A CHALLENGING DAY

25 MARCH 2020

The beautiful weather continues, but instead of being outside and working, I spend a large part of my time trying to unblock the toilet in my Dad’s Annexe. It has become blocked when my Aunt used it without assistance – she is supposed to press the buzzer when she wants to use the bathroom but she never does – she is an independent spirit. Usually someone spots that she has left her chair and calls me, but on this occasion, she managed to go to the loo unnoticed and we are left with bad blockage. Patrick checked and cleared all the drains and both of us tried various things to try and clear it, but to no avail.

In desperation (the thought of coping with no working toilet and two housebound, confused, elderlies, one of which is incontinent, filled me with dread), I called the Dad of one of my ex pupils who is a local plumber and has come to our assistance in the past with various things. Despite the lockdown, he came out to rescue us (it should be deemed an emergency) and whilst we did our best to stay 2m apart, he managed to fix it with a big plunger. I would have hugged him, if it were not for the Coronavirus. I am putting a plunger on the next shopping list!

I did manage to spend some time in the garden… firstly, I think the badger defences worked which is good news. On the “nature front” over the last few days, I have noticed a swarm of wild bees hovering over the Wildflower Lawn. They seem to do this every year. They appear to live in the ground and fly about very close to the surface. They are very sweet and much smaller than our honey bees.


Another curious thing happened to me later on in the afternoon. I came across a live mole out in the open, near the compost heap. I think it was quite old and perhaps not very well because it is very unusual to see one out of the ground in day time. I was able to pick him up and I carried him to somewhere more sheltered with some cover and he ambled about a bit, twitching his nose.

I did manage to finish applying the ash to the Raspberry beds and then I put a layer of compost on top of that. I hope it does them good and it certainly makes the beds look at lot better. I finally finished putting all of the plants into the mount beds, now I have to plant around 1000 Summer bulbs! This has freed up some valuable space in the Polytunnel and some useful modular trays for further planting. Almost on cue, a box Begonias and Antirrhinums plug plants arrived from Parkers today and they will need planting out now.

There was good news today from the Government with an announcement that self-employed people will be getting similar financial help to the employed. This is very reassuring as at the moment, I am not earning any money at all and probably will not for weeks or months to come.


32 views

©2019 by Church Gardens, Harefield.